Annie Freud (born 1948) is an English poet.
Freud was born in London. She is the daughter of painter Lucien Freud, the granddaughter of sculptor Sir Jacob Epstein, and the great-grandaughter of psychologist Sigmund Freud.
When she was 4, her parents separated, and she lived with both her maternal and paternal grandparents until her mother remarried; she also stayed in contact with her father, who has painted several portraits of her. She was educated at the Lycee Francais de Londres, and then studied English and European Literature at Warwick University. Since 1975 she has worked as a tapestry artist.
She became interested in poetry in the late 1990's, after attending a reading by Anne Carson. In Freud's words: " Here was something grand, disturbing, like a horse rearing up on its hind legs in protest." Freud began writing her own poetry, and giving readings. In 2006 her first poems were published in pamphet form as A Voids Officer Achieves the Tree Pose, followed in 2007 by her first full collection, The Best Man that Ever Was.
- A Voids Officer Achieves the Tree Pose (pamphlet). London: Donut Press, 2006.
- The Best Man that Ever Was. London: Picador, 2007.
- The Mirabelles. London: Picador, 2010.
- The Remains. London: Picador, 2015.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Annie Freud (b. 1948), The Poetry Archive. Web, Jan. 15, 2014.
- ↑ The Mirabelles by Annie Freud", The Guardian, January 24, 2011. Web, Jan. 15, 2014.
- ↑ Annie Freud, Authors, Picador. Web, Jan. 15, 2014.
- ↑ Search results = au:Annie Freud, WorldCat, OCLC Online Computer Library Center Inc. Web, Sep. 25, 2014.
- Audio / video
- Annie Freud (b. 1948) at The Poetry Archive
- Annie Freud reads poems from The Mirabelles at The Telegraph
- Annie Freud at YouTube
- Annie Freud at Next Generation Poets 2014.
- "Why I've finally embraced the family name", Annie Freud interview at The Guardian, 2015
- review of The Best Man that Ever Was at The Guardian
- Review of The Mirabelles at The Guardian
|Original Penny's Poetry Pages article, licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0.|
- This is a signed article by User:George Dance. It may be edited for spelling errors or typos, but not for substantive content except by its author. If you have created a user name and verified your identity, provided you have set forth your credentials on your user page, you can add comments to the bottom of this article as peer review.