April Bernard (born 1956) is an American poet.
Bernard was born and raised in New England, and graduated from Harvard University. She has worked as a senior editor at Vanity Fair, Premiere, and Manhattan, inc. In the early 1990s, she taught at Amherst College. In Fall 2003, she was Sidney Harman Writer-in-Residence at Baruch College. She teaches at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, New York. Her work has appeared in The New Yorker, the Boston Review, AGNI, Ploughshares, Parnassus, and The New York Review of Books.
- New Jersey: An American portrait (with Luc Sante). Dallas, TX: Taylor, 1986.
- Blackbird Bye Bye. Random House. 1989.
- Psalms. W.W. Norton & Company, Incorporated. 1995. ISBN 9780393313048.
- Swan Electric. New York: Norton, 2002.
- Romanticism: Poems. W.W. Norton & Co. 2009. ISBN 9780393068078.
- Pirate Jenny. New York: Norton, 1990.
- Pirate Jenny. W.W. Norton & Company. 1990. ISBN 9780393334302.
- Edgar Allan Poe, The Complete Poetry (edited with Jay Parini). New York: Signet, 2014.
- Phillis Levin, ed (November 2001). The Penguin Book of the Sonnet: 500 Years of a Classic Tradition in English. Penguin. ISBN 9780140589290.
- Molly McQuade (2000). By Herself: Women Reclaim Poetry. Graywolf Press. ISBN 9781555972974. http://books.google.com/?id=wpuwAAAAIAAJ&q=April+Bernard+poet&dq=April+Bernard+poet.
- April Bernard profile and 6 poems at Academy of American Poets.
- "Song of Yes and No", Baruch College
- "That’s What I Said". AGNI 47. 1998. http://www.bu.edu/agni/poetry/print/2002/56-bernard.html.
- "Not Rome". Boston Review. Summer 2002. http://www.bostonreview.net/BR27.3/not%20rome.html.
- "Notes on the First Person". Poems Out Loud. Aug. 21, 2009. http://poemsoutloud.net/columns/archive/notes_on_the_first_person/.
- "Escape from the Ivory Tower". Lapham's Quarterly. 2008 Fall. http://www.laphamsquarterly.org/essays/april-bernard-escape-from-the-ivory-tower.php.
- "Famous Last Words: Harold Brodkey's deathbed memoir". slate. Oct. 22, 1996. http://www.slate.com/id/2955/.
- Audio: April Bernard reads "Beagle or Something" from Romanticism: Poems (2009)
- Audio: April Bernard reads "Heimatlos" from Romanticism: Poems (2009)
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. (view article). (view authors).|