He taught high school for over 20 years.
Christopher Pollnitz said of Emery's second collection: "Misplaced Heart is the best book of Australian poetry I've read so far in the 21st century. It's a book that makes me grin rather than laugh; and it's a book that makes me weep, with joy, with admiration, and with its unsentimental pinpoint pathos".
Awards that Emery has received include include the Dennis Butler Memorial Prize, the Newcastle Poetry Prize, the Australian Sports Poetry Award, the Arts Queensland Judith Wright Calanthe Award, and the Bruce Dawe National Poetry Prize.
- and dug my fingers in the sand. Wollongong University, NSW: Five Islands Press, 2000.
- Misplaced Heart: Poems. Wollongong, NSW: Five Islands Press, 2003.
- At a Slight Angle, and other poems. Warners Bay, NSW: Picaro Press, 2006.
- Uncommon Light: Poems. Carlton, Vic: Five Islands Press, 2007.
- Collusion. St Kilda, Vic: John Leonard Press, 2012.
- Earthly Matters: Biology and geology poems (edited by Emery and Victoria Haritos). Potts Point, NSW: Poets Union, 2010.
- Holding Patterns: Physics and engineering poems (edited by Emery and Victoria Haritos). Potts Point, NSW: Poets Union, 2010.
- Law and Impulse" Maths and chemistry poems (edited by Emery and Victoria Haritos). Potts Point, NSW: Poets Union, 2010.
- Audio / video
- Brook Emery - On poetry; interview at the NSW Writers' Centre, 2010
|Original Penny's Poetry Pages article, licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0.|
- This is a signed article by User:George Dance. It may be edited for spelling errors or typos, but not for substantive content except by its author. If you have created a user name and verified your identity, provided you have set forth your credentials on your user page, you can add comments to the bottom of this article as peer review.