Gary Allen (born 1959) is a Northern Irish poet.
Allen was born in Ballymena, County Antrim, into a large working-class family. He studied mechanical engineering in college, but dropped out to travel and live in Europe for a number of years, working mostly at menial jobs. On his return to England, he began writing poetry.
He is the author of more than a dozen collections of poetry. He has published widely in major international literary magazines, including Ambit, The Fiddlehead, London Magazine, Malahat Review, Meanjin, Poetry NZ, The Poetry Review, Prairie Schooner, Stand, The Threepenny Review, and Westerly. His poetry has been included in many anthologies, including. The New North: Contemporary poetry from Northern Ireland, published in the U.S. by Wake Forest University Press and in the UK by Salt Publishing.
Medbh McGuckian (on Languages): "These poems are raw and brutal, unusual in their sensitivity to the particular vulnerability of women. Although they hover on the edge of despair, they also offer a valuable and much needed insight into the thwarted lives of the poor, and are as powerful in their way as the satires of Rita Ann Higgins."
- Irish Notes. Stamford, UK: K.T., 1995.
- The Farthest Circle. Stamford, UK: K.T., 1996.
- Mending Churches. Belfast: Lapwing, 1997.
- Making Waves. Redditch, UK: Flarestack, 1997.
- Languages. Hexham, NI: Flambard, 2002.
- Exile. Ballyclare, Co. Antrim, NI: Black Mountain Press, 2004.
- North of Nowhere. Belfast: Lagan Press, 2006.
- The Bone House. Belfast: Lagan Press, 2008.
- Iscariot's Dream. Mayfield, East Sussex, UK: Agenda Editions, 2008.
- The Next Room. Belfast: Lapwing, 2010.
- Ha Ha. Belfast: Lagan Press, 2011.
- White Lines. Darlington, UK: Arrowhead Press, 2013.
- Mexico. Mayfield, East Sussex, UK: Agenda Editions, 2013.
- Cillin. Ballyclare, Co. Antrim, NI: Black Mountain Press, 2005.
- Short Story Introductions 1 (with D.W. Lewis & Heather Richardson). Belfast: Lagan Press, 2007.
- "Milking-Parlour", Glasgow Review of Books
- Two poems by Gary Allen at The Stinging Fly
- Guest Poet 4: Gary Allen at Pure Poetry (7 poems)
- Audio / video
- Gary Allen at Lagan Press
|Original Penny's Poetry Pages article, licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0.|
- This is a signed article by User:George Dance. It may be edited for spelling errors or typos, but not for substantive content except by its author. If you have created a user name and verified your identity, provided you have set forth your credentials on your user page, you can add comments to the bottom of this article as peer review.