|James B. Dollard|
Fr. Dollard in Canadian Poets, 1916.
August 30, 1872|
Mooncoin, County Kilkenny, Ireland
|Alma mater||Laval University|
Dollard was born at Mooncoin, co. Kilkenny, Ireland, the youngest child of Anastasia (Quinn) and Michael Dollard. He studied Classics at Kilkenny College, and then sailed to Canada, where he studied for the priesthood, graduating from Laval University as a Bachelor of Theology and Bachelor of Canon Law. He was ordained to the priesthood in 1896, and served as a parish priest in Toronto and Uptergrove, Ontario.
He published his debutt collection of poetry, Irish Mist and Sunshine in 1906, and another collection, Poems, in 1910.
The Globe (Toronto): "The poems of Father Dollard have long been appreciated for their high literary quality, spirituality and Celtic insight. To the scholarly touch of the classicist he adds the magic and vision of the true Celt. Born under the shadow of Slieve-na-mon, dreamful of mystical lore, Father Dollard was early inspired by the beauty and charm and tender melancholy of his native land. Though with a versatile pen he touches many themes, his supreme gift is that of an Irish lyrist."
- Irish Mist and Sunshine: Ballads and lyrics. Boston: C.E. Peabody / Toronto: W.E. Blake, 1902.
- Poems. Catholic Church Extension Society, 1910.
- Irish Lyrics and Ballads. Toronto: McClelland, Goodchild, & Stewart, 1917.
- Leaves on the Wind (with Daniel Aloysius Casey). Toronto: McClelland & Stewart, 1919.
- The Belle of Old Quebec, and other poems of New France. Toronto: Extension Print, 1920.
- Clontarf: An Irish national drama in four acts. Dublin: Catholic Truth Society of Ireland, 1920.
- ↑ James B. Dollard, Hymnary.org. Web, July 11, 2014.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 John Garvin, "Father Dollard," Canadian Poets (Toronto: McClelland, Goodchild & Stewart, 1916), 413-414, Digital Library, University of Pennsylvania, Penn.edu, Web, Feb. 18, 2012.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 James B. Dollard: Biography, Irish Lyrics and Ballads, Book Lives. Web, Apr. 4, 2017.
- ↑ Search results = au:James B. Dollard, WorldCat, OCLC Online Computer Library Center Inc. Web, Oct. 12, 2013.
- "Loretto Convent, Niagara Falls" - Niagara Falls poetry project
- James B. Dollard at Hymnary.org (2 hymns)
- Father Dollard in Canadian Poets: 7 poems
- James B. Dollard at Poetry Nook (7 poems)
- James B. Dollard at Amazon.com
- Irish Lyrics and Ballads - James B. Dollard
- Father Dollard sees the Nuns' Garden at the Sacred Heart Review (.PDF)
|Original Penny's Poetry Pages article, licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0.|
- This is a signed article by User:George Dance. It may be edited for spelling errors or typos, but not for substantive content except by its author. If you have created a user name and verified your identity, provided you have set forth your credentials on your user page, you can add comments to the bottom of this article as peer review.