She resides in Pittsburgh with her husband, musician Don Hollowood. She heads the writing program at Carlow University, where she also directs the Madwomen in the Attic Writing Workshop. She has also taught creative writing at the University of Pittsburgh. Along with Ellen Wadey, Beatty hosts and produces Prosody, a weekly radio program featuring the work of national writers.
Her poems have appeared in literary journals and magazines including Quarterly West, Gulf Coast, Indiana Review, and Court Green, and in anthologies published by Oxford University Press, University of Illinois Press, and University of Iowa Press. Some of Beatty's poetry, considered sexually explicit, led to problems with a scheduled reading at Joseph-Beth Booksellers in April 2008.
Beatty was awarded the Pablo Neruda Prize for Poetry from the Tulsa Arts and Humanities Council in 1990, and the $15,000 Creative Achievement Award in Literature from the Heinz Foundation. Her first book, Mad River, won the Agnes Lynch Starrett Poetry Prize of the University of Pittsburgh Press in 1994. Her honors include fellowships from the Ucross Foundation, the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, and Yaddo.
- Ravenous (chapbook). Brockport, NY: State Street Press, 1995.
- Mad River. Pittsburgh, PA: University of Pittsburgh Press, 1995.
- Boneshaker. Pittsburgh, PA: University of Pittsburgh Press, 2002.
- Red Sugar. Pittsburgh, PA: University of Pittsburgh Press, 2008.
- The Switching Yard. Pittsburgh, PA: University of Pittsburgh Press, 2013.
- Pittsburgh Revealed: Photographs since 1950. Pittsburgh, PA: Carnegie Museum of Art, 1997.
Audio / video
- Visiting Writers' Series: Jan Beatty (CD). Reed College, 2011.
- Contemporary Authors Online. The Gale Group, 2007. PEN (Permanent Entry Number): 0000074923.
- John Alvarez & Nicole Miyashiro, Beatty, Jan, Pennsylvania Center for the Book, Pennsylvania State University. Web, Oct. 16, 2014.
- "Poet Jan Beatty, in her own words". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_63605.html.
- "BookDetails, Red Sugar", University of Pittsburgh Press
- Bob Hoover (April 22, 2008). "Bookstore and poet in war of words over reading". Pittsburgh Post Gazette. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08113/875323-42.stm.
- Search results = au:Jan Beatty, WorldCat, OCLC Online Computer Library Center Inc. Web, Oct. 16, 2014.
- Jan Beatty at the Academy of American Poets (3 poems)
- Jan Beatty at the Poetry Foundation.
- Audio / video
- Jan Beatty at Amazon.com
- Beatty, Jan at the Pennsylvania Center for the Book
- Jan Beatty Official website
- Curriculum Vitae
- Jan Beatty: Full interview! at Prairie Schooner
- Bookstore and poet in war of words over reading
- "For Better or Verse: Bookstore Says Go, Poet Says No"
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. (view article). (view authors).|