Azzouni acknowledges, as do many of his peers, a debt to the renowned philosopher, Willard Van Orman Quine. Azzouni is of the nominalist bent and has centered much of his philosophical efforts around defending nominalism.
A distinctive position of his is the as claim that mathematical objects don't exist. Yet, unlike Hartry Field, he believes that the existence claims of mathematics are in fact literally true. That is, some of the existential quantifiers in our ordinary speech carry ontological commitment, but some don't. There is no standard way to indicate which are which, but we can generally tell by context. When someone asks "How many prime numbers are there between 10 and 20?", we understand it in the non-committing way, and answer "4". However, when asked "Are there actually any numbers?", we understand it in the committing way, and he suggests we should answer "No".
In addition to his philosophical endeavors, Azzouni has published numerous short stories.
His book of poetry entitled The Lust For Blueprints contains his signature mix of humor and the macabre.
- Mermaids Playing. New York, NY: Postcard.com, 1999.
- Lsndcape by Dali. New York, NY: Postcard.com, 2001.
- The Lust for Blueprints. Providence, RI: Poet's Press, 2001. ISBN 0-922558-07-8 ISBN 978-0922558070
- Hereafter Landscapes. Providence, RI: Poet's Press, 2010. ISBN 0-922558-42-6
- Metaphysical Myths, Mathematical Practice: The ontology and epistemology of the exact xciences, Cambridge and New York: Cambridge University Press, 1994.
- Knowledge and Reference in Empirical Science. London and New York: Routledge, 2000.
- Deflating Existential Consequence: A case for nominalism. New York: Oxford University Press, 2004.
- Tracking Reason: Proof, Consequence and Truth. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Talking About Nothing: Numbers, hallucinations and fictions. New York and Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Search results=Jody Azzouni, WorldCat, Web, June 27, 2012.
- Jody Azzouni at PhilPapers.
- Jody Azzouni at Amazon.com
- Jody Azzouni at The Drum
- Jody Azzouni at Tufts University
- Jody Azzouni Official website.
- Faculty Profile
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. (view article). (view authors).|