Joel Rosenberg (born April 13, 1943) is a Jewish American poet and academic.
His work has appeared in Response, Moment, Ploughshares, 20 New Wilderness Letter, Kerem, and Voices Within the Ark. He is the translator of Kol Haneshamah, the Reconstructionist prayer book. He is writing Crisis in Disguise, a book on the cinema of Jewish experience.
"In English, one of the most formidable living Jewish poets is Joel Rosenberg at Tufts University" - Stephan Pickering
I cite our landless outposts of diaspora…
I cite our neighboring quarters in the walled Jerusalem,
our holy men in black,
our past in Scripture,
and our overlapping sacred sites.
I cite our reverence for family ties,
our Middle Eastern food, our enterprise,
our immigration histories, our ironic manner, our eccentric uncles.
Our clustering in cities, our cherishing of books, our vexed and aching homelands.
His honors include a National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship in 1996; a Mellon Foundation grant, 1982-1983; and a Regents Fellowship, from the University of California, Santa Cruz, 1971-1972. He has an honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from the Reconstructionist Rabbinical College of Philadelphia.
- King and Kin: Political allegory in the Hebrew Bible. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, 1986.
- David A. Teutsch, Kol Haneshamah: Shabbat vehagim (Hebrew & English edition; English text by Rosenberg). Wyncote, PA: Reconstructionist Press, 1995.
- Journal of Jewish Literary History (edited with Stephen J. Whitfield).
- The Cinema of Jewish Experience (edited with Stephen J. Whitfield). New York : Jewish Theological Seminary, 2002.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Joel Rosenberg, prabook. Web, July 26, 2016.
- ↑ Joel Rosenberg, Department of International Literary and Cultural Studies, School of Arts and Sciences, Tufts University. Web, July 26, 2016.
- ↑ Notes, "The Sabbath Dream," Network of Spiritual Progressives. Web, July 26, 2016.
- ↑ Search results = Kol + au:Joel Rosenberg, WorldCat, OCLC Online Computer Library Center Inc. Web, July 26, 2016.
- ↑ Search reults = au:Joel Rosenberg 1943, WorldCat, OCLC Online Computer Library Center Inc. Web, July 26, 2016.
- "The Light of the Moon and the Sun"
- "The Sabbath Dream"
- Evolution of the Jew as Poet... and six poems, by Joel Rosenberg
- Joel Rosenberg articles at Stanford University
|Original Penny's Poetry Pages article, licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0.|