Life[edit | edit source]
Deane was born on Achill Island, off the coast of Co. Mayo.
Career[edit | edit source]
Recognition[edit | edit source]
Deane won the O’Shaughnessy Award for Irish Poetry, the Marten Toonder Award for Literature, and poetry prizes from Italy and Romania. Deane was elected Secretary-General of the European Academy of Poetry in 1996. He has been shortlisted for both the T.S. Eliot Prize and the Irish Times Poetry Now Award.
He is a member of Aosdána, the body established by the Arts Council to honour artists “whose work had made an outstanding contribution to the arts in Ireland”.
In 2007, the French Government honoured him by making him a Chevalier of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres.
Publications[edit | edit source]
Poetry[edit | edit source]
- Stalking After Time. Dublin: Profile, 1977.
- Island (illustrated by Barbara Deane). Dublin: St. Bueno, 1978.
- High Sacrifice. Dublin: Dolmen, 1981.
- Voices. Portree, Skye, UK: Aquila, 1983.
- Winter in Meath. Dublin: Dedalus, 1985.
- Road, with Cypress and Star (engravings by John Behan). 1988.
- Far Country. Dublin: Dedalus ([Icarus Editions, No. 1), 1992.
- The Stylized City: New and selected poems. Dublin: Dedalus, 1991.
- Island: One man’s place. Dublin: Poolbeg Press, 1994.
- Christ, with Urban Fox. Dublin: Dedalus / NY: White Pine Press, 1997.
- Toccata and Fugue: New and selected poems. Manchester, UK: Carcanet, 2000.
- The Hero, Home. Dublin: Dedalus, 2001.
- Manhandling the Deity. Manchester, UK: Carcanet, 2003.
- The Instrument of Art. Manchester, UK: Carcanet, 2005.
- Achill: The Island. Achill, Ireland: Redfoxpress, 2009.
- Eye of the Hare. Manchester, UK: Carcanet, 2011.
Novels[edit | edit source]
- One Man’s Place. Poolbeg, 1994.
- Flightlines. Poolbeg Press, 1995.
- In the Name of the Wolf. Dublin: Wolfhound Press, 1999.
- Undertow. Belfast: Blackstaff Press 2002.
Short fiction[edit | edit source]
- The Coffin Master, Blackstaff Press, 2002
- Walking on Water. Dublin: Dedalus 1994.
- Free Range. Dublin: Wolfhound, 1994.
- The Coffin Master, and other stories. Belfast: Blackstaff, 2000.
- The Heather Field, and other stories. Belfast: Blackstaff, 2007.
Translated[edit | edit source]
- Philippe Jones, The Breath of Words. Dublin: Dedalus, 2003.
Edited[edit | edit source]
- Six American Poets. Dedalus, 1989.
- The Cold Heaven: Irish poetry of faith and doubt. Dublin: Wolfhound Press, 1990.
- The Dedalus Irish Poets. Dublin: Dedalus, 1992.
- From the Marrowbone. Dublin: Columba Press 2008.
Except where noted, bibliographical information courtesy Ricorso.net.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Three poems by John F, Deane
- John F. Deane (Ireland, 1943) at Poetry International (6 poems)
- Poetry by John F. Deane
- World Poetry Portfolio #19: John F. Deane at Molossus (11 poems)
- Audio / video
- John F. Deane at Carcanet Press
- John F. Deane at The Poetry Project
- John F. Deane at the British Council
- John F. Deane at Ricorso.net
- John F. Deane Official website.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. (view article). (view authors).|