Arkind tours the world performing and teaching poetry as executive director of the award-winning Denver Minor Disturbance Youth Poetry Project.
Arkind often performs poetry between sets by up-and-coming bands like Achille Lauro and Hot Congress. He has also performed with Cloud Cult, Devotchka, The Flobots, Sage Francis Gil Scott Heron, NPR's Amy Goodman, and Pulitzer Prize-winning poet Yusef Komunyakaa.
Andrea Gibson, World Of Women's National Poetry Slam Champ and the author of "Pole Dancing to Gospel Hymns, says of him: "I do not know another writer with more talent, guts and integrity. No one in the spoken word scene has more consistently rocked me back to the drawing board, if we could bottle the hallelujah on the inside of this guy's windpipe there'd be more believers in poetry than there are in Jesus, who coincidently was the last hairy guy to talk this good."
Raising glasses in Denver
is a middle finger against natural law . . .
We still live in a cow town
but it's full of wolves
- Ken Arkind
Arkind has been featured in The Documentaries SPIT!, Slamplanet, CBS, NBC and Borders.com's Open Door Poetry series.
- I Know Why Georgia Turner Waited by the Train Tracks. Penmanship Books, 2011.
- Denver: A poem (with woodcuts by Charly Fasano). Fast Geek Press, 2013.
- Coyotes. Brooklyn, NY: Penmanship Books, 2014.
- ↑ Ken Arkind, About the Poets, Undergraduate Academic Affairs, University of Washington. Web, Mar. 29, 2013.
- ↑ Ken Arkind, Global Poetics Presents Direct from NYC], Global Poetics. Web, Mar. 29, 2013.
- ↑ Ken Arkind, PoetCD.com
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Chicago Ideas Week: Ken Arkind, Tony Hoagland, J. Patrick Lewis, Agustina Woodgate, and Mary Zimmerman. Poetry Foundation, Web, Mar. 29, 2013.
- ↑ Laura Bond, "Poet Ken Arkind on his new book, Denver, and the purpose of poetry in a music-driven world," Westword Blogs, March 28, 2013. Web, Mar. 29, 2013.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Ken Arkind, Hot Congress. Web, Mar. 29, 2013.
- ↑ "Ken Arkind," Colorado Poetry Out Loud Vising Artist Roster. Web, Mar. 29, 2013.
- ↑ Search results = au:Ken Arkind, WorldCat, OCLC Online Computer Library Center Inc. Web, Aug. 23, 2015.
- Audio / video
- Ken Arkind at Hot Congress Records
- Poet Ken Arkind on his new book, Denver, and the purpose of poetry in a music-driven world at Westword blogs.
|Original Penny's Poetry Pages article, licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0.|
- This is a signed article by User:George Dance. It may be edited for spelling errors or typos, but not for substantive content except by its author. If you have created a user name and verified your identity, provided you have set forth your credentials on your user page, you can add comments to the bottom of this article as peer review.