Almeder was raised in southern Maine and Atlanta, Georgia. She studied literature, creative writing, and art history at the University of Virginia. She received an M.F.A. in poetry writing from the University of Massachusetts, and an M.A. and Ph.D. in contemporary novel and narrative theory from the University of Florida.
She lives in Roanoke, Virginia, and teaches English and creative writing at Roanoke College. She also participates in creative writing courses at the West End Center and St. John's Episcopal Church in Roanoke.
Her 1st collection of poetry, On Dream Street, won the Editors' Prize at Tupelo Press, and was a finalist for the Walt Whitman Award. Her poetry has been nominated 3 times for a Pushcart Prize. In 2011, she was given an Outstanding Faculty Award by the State Council of Higher Education and Dominion Resources.
- On Dream Street. Dorset, VT: Tupelo Press, 2007.
- In Transit. Art by Bus, 2015.
- Melanie Almeder, MyLife.com Inc., Web, Feb. 20, 2012.
- Place of Mind, Miami-Dade Public Library System, JohnBailly.com, Web, Feb. 20, 2012.
- Dr. Melanie Almeder, Academics, Roanoke College, Roanoke.edu, Web, Feb. 20, 2012.
- Melanie Almeder, Poetry Foundation, Web, Feb. 20, 2012.
- Dr. Melanie Almeder to receive 2011 Outstanding Faculty Award, The Back Cover, Roanoke.com, Web, Feb. 20, 2012.
- Search results = au:Melanie Almeder, WorldCat, OCLC Online Computer Library Center Inc. Web, Aug. 22, 2015.
- Melanie Almeder at Amazon.com
|Original Penny's Poetry Pages article, licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0.|
- This is a signed article by User:George Dance. It may be edited for spelling errors or typos, but not for substantive content except by its author. If you have created a user name and verified your identity, provided you have set forth your credentials on your user page, you can add comments to the bottom of this article as peer review.