Michael Anania (born August 5, 1939) is an American poet.
Anania was born in Omaha, Nebraska. His mother, Dora, was an immigrant from Germany. His father, Angelo, an immigrant from Italy, was unable to hold a regular job due to tuberculosis, and supported the family by odd jobs and playing cards. Anania grew up in a housing project and attended Omaha inner-city schools where "saying you were a poet would be a little bit like standing up and saying you were a target."
Anania attended the University of Nebraska at Lincoln, where he studied under Karl Shapiro, and the Municipal University of Omaha (later the University of Nebraska at Omaha), where he received a B.A.; and then earned a Ph.D. at the State University of New York at Buffalo.
In 1969 he edited the New Poetry Anthology. His first collection of poetry, The Colour of Dust, was published in 1970.
Anania is a modernist poet . In his Afterword to the New Poetry Anthology, he wrote: "There is little evidence that modernism is dead or even dying. The tradition of Pound, Eliot, Williams, Stevens and their contemporaries is very much alive."</span>. Says the Poetry Foundation: "Anania's importance as a poet lies in how he preserves and develops this modernist tradition in American poetry. A deep commitment to modernism and the tradition of experimental, often difficult, poetry that flows from modernism has informed Anania's career as poet, editor, essayist, and novelist from its beginning to the present day. "
- The Color of Dust. Chicago: Swallow Press, 1970.
- Set/Sorts. Chicago: Wine Press, 1974.
- The Fall. Chicago: Editions du Grenier, 1977.
- Aesthetique du Râle. Chicago: Editions du Grenier, 1977.
- Riversongs. Urbana & London: University of Illinois Press, 1978.
- Constructions / Variations. Peoria, IL: Spoon River Poetry, 1985.
- The Sky at Ashland [&] On the Conditions of Place: Two poems. New York: Haybarn Press, 1985.
- The Sky at Ashland. Mount Kisco, NY: Mayer Bell, 1986.
- Selected Poems. Wakefield, RI: Asphodel Press, 1994.
- In Natural Light. Wakefield, RI: Asphodel Press, 1999.
- Once Again, Flowered: Poems. Millwood, NY: Haybarn Press, 2000.
- Heat Lines. Kingston, RI: Asphodel Press, 2004.
- The Red Menace. New York: Thunder's Mouth, 1984.
- In Plain Sight: Obsessions, morals and domestic laughter (essays). Mount Kisco, NY: Asphodel Press, 1991.
- New Poetry Anthology. Chicago: Swallow Press, 1969.
- Gardening the Skies: The Missouri writers' biennial anthology. Springfield, MO: Southwest Missouri State University Press, 1988.
Except where noted, bibliographical information courtesy of the Poetry Foundation.
- Michael Anania at Amazon.com
|Original Penny's Poetry Pages article, licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0.|
- This is a signed article by User:George Dance. It may be edited for spelling errors or typos, but not for substantive content except by its author. If you have created a user name and verified your identity, provided you have set forth your credentials on your user page, you can add comments to the bottom of this article as peer review.