Blumenthal was born in Vineland, New Jersey, and grew up in Manhattan, New York City. He received a B.A. in 1969 from the State University of New York at Binghampton, and a J.D. in 1974 from Cornell University Law School. He studied clinical psychology at Antioch University in 1985 and 1986..
Blumenthal's Dusty Angel won the 1999 Isabella Stewart Gardner Prize.
His novel, Weinstock Among the Dying, won the Ribalow Prize for best work of Jewish fiction.
- Sympathetic Magic. Huntington, NY: Walter Mark Press, 1980.
- Days We Would Rather Know. New York: Viking, 1984.
- Laps. Amherst, MA: University of Massachusetts Press, 1984.
- Against Romance. New York: Viking, 1987.
- The Wages of Goodness. Columbia, MO: University of Missouri Press, 1992.
- Dusty Angel. Rochester, NY: BOA Editions, 1999.
- And. Rochester, NY: BOA Editions, 2009.
- No Hurry: Poems, 2000-2012. Etruscan Press, 2012.
- Weinstock among the Dying. Cambridge, MA: Zoland Books, 1993.
- When History Enters the House: Essays from Central Europe. Port Angeles, WA: Pleasure Boat Studio, 1997.
- All My Mothers and Fathers: A memoir. New York, NY: HarperCollins/Perennial, 2002.
- Correcting the World: Selected poetry, prose, and essays of Michael Blumenthal. Legal Studies Forum, University of West Virginia Law School, 2007.
- Péter Kántor, Unknown Places. New York: Pleasure Boat Studio, 2010.
- To Woo and To Wed: Contemporary poets on love and marriage. New York: Poseidon Press, 1992.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Michael Blumenthal," Academy of American Poets, Poets.org, Dec. 31, 2011.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Michael C. Blumenthal b. 1949, Poetry Foundation, Web, Aug. 10, 2012.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Books," MichaelBlumenthal.com, Web, Dec. 31, 2011.
- ↑ No Hurry: Poems 200-2012, Red Room, Omnimedia Corporation. Web, Jan. 27, 2013.
- 2 poems by Michael Blumenthal at Poetry Dispatch
- Michael Blumenthal profile and 10 poems at the Academy of American Poets.
- Michael Blumenthal at the Writers Almanac (11 poems)
- Michael C. Blumenthal b. 1949 at the Poetry Foundation
- Michael C. Blumenthal at Amazon.com
- Michael Blumenthal (1949- ) at Strangers to Us All: Lawyers and Poetry
- Michael Blumenthal at West Virginia University
- Michael Blumenthal Official website.
|Original Penny's Poetry Pages article, licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0.|
- This is a signed article by User:George Dance. It may be edited for spelling errors or typos, but not for substantive content except by its author. If you have created a user name and verified your identity, provided you have set forth your credentials on your user page, you can add comments to the bottom of this article as peer review.