|Type of site||Online biographical database|
|Launched||August 7, 2002|
The Notable Names Database (NNDB) is an online database of biographical details of over 37,000 people of note. NNDB describes itself as an "intelligence aggregator" of those whom NNDB determines to be noteworthy, but mostly to identify connections between people.
Each person has an executive summary giving a brief description of NNDB's opinion of his or her notability. All have summaries of their vital statistics, such as name, pseudonyms, place of birth, place of death, cause of death, location of their remains, religious beliefs, gender, race or ethnicity, sexual orientation, family members, partners, boyfriends or girlfriends or one-night stands and nationality. Some of the entries have a brief biography (usually trivia), while others have no extra biographical information at all. Entries may contain summaries of the organisations they belong to, illnesses, phobia, addictions, drug use, criminal records and other data. In the case of authors, actors and film directors, the article lists the person's work in chronological order. NNDB also has articles on films and music groups. Readers may suggest additions, corrections, URLs, emails or images through a form on the website; they are later vetted by an NNDB staff member. A former feature was the "Level of Fame" assigned by NNDB from "Niche" to "Icon."
- ↑ "NNDB". October 15, 2009. http://www.nndb.com/. Retrieved October 15, 2009.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Schofield, Jack (2008-03-17). "Meet the new Who's Who". The Guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/mar/17/internet. Retrieved 2009-10-15.
- ↑ "NNDB (About)". October 26, 2010. http://www.nndb.com/about/. Retrieved October 26, 2010.
- ↑ Karol, Michael (2005). The Comic DNA of Lucille Ball: Interpreting the Icon. p. 28. http://books.google.com/books?id=XqoqB6-9EhIC&pg=PA28&dq=%22Notable+Names+Database%22#v=onepage&q=%22Notable%20Names%20Database%22&f=false. Retrieved 15 Oct 2009.
- ↑ Lowensohn, Josh (May 15, 2008). "Connecting executives (and celebs) with NNDB Mapper". cnet news. http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-9945070-2.html. Retrieved 15 October 2009.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. (view article). (view authors).|