Carruth was born near Osowatomie, Kansas. He earned a B.A. from the University of Kansas in 1880. After studying at the Universities of Berlin and Munich, he earned an M.A. in 1889 and a Ph.D. in 1893 from Harvard University.
He joined the University of Kansas as an instructor in German and literature in 1880. He helped found the Kansas Alumni Association in 1882 and served as its first Chairman. He became a full professor in 1887. He taught there for 33 years, until 1913. In 1913 he joined Stanford University as a professor of comparative literature, and taught there until his death in 1924.
- Each in His Own Tongue, and other poems. Chicago: P.F. Volland, 1908; New York & London: Putnam, 1909.
- Foreign Settlements in Kansas: A contribution to dialect study in the state. Lawrence, KS: 1892.
- Expressions of German National Feeling in Historical and Poetical Literature: From the middle of the tenth century to the time of Walther von der Vogelweide. Boston: Ginn, 1893.
- Kansas in Literature. (2 volumes), Topeka, KS: Crane, 1900.
- Las Vegas Hot Springs, New Mexico. [Chicago?]: Acheson, Topeka, & Santa Fe Railroad, 1900.
- The Religion of Friedrich Schiller. Cambridge, MA: 1904.
- American Women's Legal Status (with George James Bayles & Sallie Joy White). New York: Collier, 1905.
- Letters to American Boys. Boston: American Unitarian Association, 1907.
- Verse Writing: A practical handbook for college classes and private guidance. New York: Macmillan, 1917.
- Carl Heinrich Cornill, History of the People of Israel: From the earliest times to the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans. Chicago: Open Court, 1898.
- Hermann Gunkel, The Legends of Genesis. Chicago: Open Court, 1901.
- A German Reader: With German exercises based upon the text for first reading in German. Boston: Ginn, 1904.
See also Edit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Notes on Life and Works," Selected Poetry of William Herbert Carruth (1859-1924), Representative Poetry Online, University of Toronto, UToronto.ca, Web, Nov. 16, 2011.
- ↑ John H. McCool, "An Old Friend," KUHistory, June 26, 1940, University of Kansas. Web, July 8, 2016.
- ↑ Carruth, William Herbert, Standord University Library. Web, July 8, 2016.
- ↑ "Search results = au:Wiliam Herbert Carruth," WorldCat, OCLC Online Computer Library Center Inc. Web, July 8, 2016.
- "Each in His Own Tongue"
- Selected Poetry of William Herbert Carruth (1859-1924) 2 poems at Representative Poetry Online.
- William Herbert Carruth at Poets' Corner (4 poems)
- William Herbert Carruth at Poetry Nook (9 poems)
|Original Penny's Poetry Pages article, licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0.|
- This is a signed article by User:George Dance. It may be edited for spelling errors or typos, but not for substantive content except by its author. If you have created a user name and verified your identity, provided you have set forth your credentials on your user page, you can add comments to the bottom of this article as peer review.